This is one of my favourite meals to make. Not only are these fishcakes super simple and quick to prep but they are delicious.
The thing I hate about the fishcakes you usually find in restaurants, is that they tend to be all potato and hardly any fish. Also, (as someone who is gluten free) I hardly ever find ones that don’t have some kind of flour or breadcrumbs in them.
That’s why I love these. The flour I use is just ground almonds and the potato I just switch for a Sweet Potato. The combo is yummy!
- Peeled Sweet Potato- 400g
- Tuna Steak in Spring Water Drained 300g
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Large Organic Egg
- ½ tsp Good quality sea salt
- 1 TBS Freshly chopped or dried Coriander leaf (opt)
- 15 g Ground Almonds (1/4 cup)
- 1-2 cloves crushed garlic
- 100 g cherry tomatoes halved (opt)
- After peeling the sweet potato, chop into quarters and boil until soft but not too soggy (approx. 10-15mins)
- Sieve and set aside to cool
- Lightly grease a baking sheet or tin-foiled oven rack (preferably with coconut oil)
- Pre-Heat oven to bake at 180 degrees
- Put the tuna and rest of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and ass the sweet potato once it’s cooled.
- Be prepared to get your hands dirty and knead the mixture together until all combined evenly.
- Grab a small handful of the mixture and form into a ball/patty (see above picture) and place on baking sheet. Try not to let the fishcakes get too close to one another as they will expand a little when cooked.
- Place on middle shelf in over for 20 mins.
- Remove and turn each one over and bake again for another 10 mins.
Serve with side vegetables or salad of your choice.