Because who doesn't love a good old fashioned chicken nugget and chip dinner...!
We all have those days when you get home exhausted and starving and want to take something out the freezer and chuck in the oven for 30 mins, pain and hassle free.
A guilty pleasure of mine is chicken nuggets and chips, but I can’t deny that these sort of foods lack barely or no nutritional value and I always end up feeling guilty and regretful after I’ve eaten them.
So I’ve come up with a healthy take on the classic chicken nuggets and chips, and the great news is it takes no longer to prep than it would grabbing a ready meal out the freezer.
Chicken Nuggets and Chips Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 350 grams of chicken strips (preferably organic) or 3 chicken breasts cut into 4cm thick strips
- 1 cup of ground almonds
- 1 cup of flaxseed (I use Linwood milled flaxseed,almonds, brazil nuts)
- 1 egg
- splash of milk
- 4 large carrots
- 1 parsnip
- tablespoon of coconut oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
(or alternatively you could do the same with 2 sweet potatoes and sprinkle paprika onto them)
- Preheat oven to 190 celsius/ gas mark 5 or 6
- To make the chicken nuggets simply whisk and egg and splash of milk in a cup. In a larger bowl mix the flaxseed and almonds.
- Dip the chicken strip in the egg and then fold into to flaxseed/almond mix, make sure you cover the whole strip of chicken and place on a grease proof lined oven tray.
- Next cut the carrots and parsnip in half both ways so they are roughly the size of chunky chips, place on a different baking tray and drizzle with a little coconut oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place both the chicken and veg in the oven and sit back and relax for 25mins.
- Enjoy with a homemade guacamole or salsa on the side.