Here’s an article Jean-Claude Vacassin wrote for Health and Fitness Magazine – Simple but very effective tips.
Lunges strengthen your glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves, as well as conditioning the major muscles of your legs for other sports and activities.
Do them daily and lunges will shape and firm up your backside too. You don’t need any equipment, so you can do them anywhere.
HOW TO DO IT
- With your chest lifted, chin up and abdominals contracted, take a big step forward with your right foot.
- Sink straight down so your right knee tracks over the top of your shoe and your left knee points down towards the floor.
- Push back to the starting position.
- Repeat leading with your left leg.
- Continue in an alternating fashion for 10-15 reps (each leg).
Let the knee travel
Drive your front knee forward in line with your hip and land with your knee over your foot. Your back knee points towards the floor as you lower all the way down until it’s just off the mat.
Flex forward at the hip
Lift your hips up and press them slightly forward, keeping your back straight and upright.
Grip tight, shoulders back
Relax your shoulders and draw your shoulder blades slightly together.